Gout is another form of arthritis where a person experiences excruciating pain, inflammation and tenderness in the joints, Some crucial facts about gout you must know are mentioned below:
- This condition is most common in men aged 40 years and above.
- Once a person is afflicted with gout, he or she can only manage the condition and still experience recurring attacks. Therefore, it is important to make healthy lifestyle choices to ease the attacks of gout.
- Besides causing gouty arthritis, this condition can also affect and damage the kidneys.
- All humans are at risk for gout, thus, making it one of the most common arthritis conditions.
Associated risk factors
- Individuals with a family history of gout are more likely to develop it. The condition is easily transferred through genes and therefore, those with a family history must consult a doctor immediately on showing early symptoms.
- Consumption of red meat and shellfish can increase the risk of gout. Other foods consisting of purines like dried beans and anchovies also contribute to the disease’s development. Those who consume alcohol regularly are at high risk. Having more than two liquor drinks or two cans of beer can increase the risks of gout. People who consume soda on a regular basis are at risk of developing gout too.
- Health issues such as kidney stones, heart diseases, diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol levels can increase the chances of developing gout.
- As per research, gout is common in men than in women. This is due to the natural estrogen levels in women that protect them from this disease until 60 years of age.
- Individuals who take diuretic medications to regulate blood pressure can develop gout over a period of time. Diuretic pills can suppress the body’s immune system and increase blood uric acid levels.
- Being overweight is one of the leading causes of this disease. People who are obese tend to develop the condition at an early age than those with a normal weight.
- People who have undergone a gastric bypass surgery in the past must be careful about developing gout.
- One can make a number of amendments in their daily habits and lifestyle choices for gout prevention.
- People suffering from obesity must focus on weight management by changing their diet and adapting to a fitness regime. Losing weight through regular exercise can decrease urate production in the body, reducing the risk for gout.
- Patients are advised to avoid consumption of purine foods like peas and meat.
- One’s body must be hydrated at all times to ensure a balance in body uric acid levels.
- Drinking beer and other alcohol variants must be refrained from to prevent and control the condition.
Things to remember about gout
- Gout is a serious arthritic condition, which initially attacks the big toe and may spread to other areas of the body. Immediate diagnosis and treatment on showing early signs can help prevent this condition.
- There is no cure to gout, but the frequency of the attacks can be reduced and measures can be taken to prevent attacks. Doctors recommend healthy lifestyle choices and proper weight management to control uric acid levels in the blood.
- Limiting alcohol and purine-containing foods can help one fight off gout to an extent. Regular exercise and physical activities can make sure that the body does not lose its mobility and is in a better state to prevent the condition.
- Gout attacks can be reduced by doctor prescribed medications. Various treatments are available to minimize the frequency of attacks. However, gout remains in the body with its occurrence increasing or decreasing with a person’s age and lifestyle.
- Gout is also linked with other health conditions like diabetes, obesity, and kidney stones. If not diagnosed immediately, gout can affect other areas of the body and can permanently damage joints.