Human Foods that are Harmful for Dogs

Human Foods that are Harmful for Dogs

When you sit down for dinner, do you feel eyes on you? If you have a dog, he or she may beg for food, and oftentimes, you may be tempted to give them food from your plate. Many foods that humans eat may harm our dogs, and we need to make ourselves familiar with what to avoid. Some foods even cause seizures, kidney issues, and dog toxicity. Read on for a list of harmful and toxic foods for dogs:

1. Onions and garlic

Onions and garlic contain organosulfur and allium, both of which are toxic to dogs. A toxic reaction to onions can kill a dog and is costly to treat. Onions can cause liver damage, diarrhea, vomiting, and other symptoms. If you are aware that your dog ate an onion, your vet will induce vomiting to get it out of his system before it can do damage. Garlic is also toxic to dogs. Garlic is about 5-times more dangerous than onions. Allium can cause damage to the red blood cells, making them more likely to burst. Problems with red blood cells will cause your dog to be anemic. Other symptoms include nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and others. You may not notice signs of garlic poisoning for several days.

2. Avocado

The avocado pits, leaves, and the bark of the avocado tree all contain Persin, which can be deadly to your dog. Dogs are carnivores, and their bodies do not digest plant foods easily.

If your dog is reacting to persin, there will be Adnominal swelling, cardiovascular damage, and fluid retention around the heart. You will recognize that there is a problem about 12 hours after ingestion and death is likely to happen within two days. Removing the seed is necessary. Your dog will probably not get persin from the flesh of the fruit. The pit is a choking hazard, and a gastrointestinal blockage is possible.

3. Caffeinated beverages

Caffeine is very dangerous to your dog. The heart, lungs, and nervous system will suffer from caffeine toxicity. Symptoms to expect are hyper-excitability, vomiting, tremors, and convulsions. So avoid any coffee, caffeinated teas, sodas, or energy drinks.

4. Grapes and raisins

Even a small amount of raisins could kill your dog. Raisins and grapes cause kidney failure, although research has yet to pinpoint exactly which substance in the fruit causes this adverse reaction. The best thing to do is just avoid giving them to your pet. If you grow grapes in your yard, protect your dog from them. After any ingestion of raisins or grapes, seek emergency medical care.

5. Dairy products

Dogs can develop lactose intolerance. Lactose intolerance can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and digestive problems in your dog.

6. Chocolate

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine. Dogs cannot metabolize theobromine very quickly, and it becomes toxic to their bodies. Dogs rarely die from chocolate toxicity, but too much chocolate damages a dog’s nervous system and cardiovascular system. It will also cause hyperactivity and a high heart rate because of the caffeine.

7. Peaches and plums

Fruit seeds and pits from many fruits could hurt your dog. Pits are a choking hazard. They can cause your dog’s bowels significant problems and could cause intestinal obstructions. The seeds and pits also have cyanide in them. If you are going to give your dog peaches or plums, It is safer to remove the pits and seeds.

latest articles

Cookie settings